Well my friends – I have taken another lapse in my posting. All I can say is I have been REALLY busy which I suppose it what we all want… Right?
I feel I need to catch up and first finish explaining my post about on-page SEO factors and then I will get onto some other additional ideas.
Let’s keep going here and roll through the next 4 5 SEO items.
4. Keyword in H1, H2, H3 tags – This one is very easy to implement and in a sense you may already be doing it at least visually. The bottom line here is your keyword needs to at least be tagged by an H1 tag and if possibly also by an H2. What this will do is bump up the size of your keyword and make it bold to the human reader. For the Search Engines it is clearly identifying exactly which term you feel is the most important on the page.
Now, you don’t necessary need H3 tag if you cannot accommodate it, but advisable to have it. Again, the human reader will not be aware of these tags at all but it is the SEO juice that you are feeding to the SE’s that is the key. Quite simply, these 3 tags are the pillar to your On-Page score.
Please note that there is not much correlation between these actual heading tags with SERP ranking (not like your title) but it helps Google to define your document which in turn improves your PULL results. We love PULL results… so much better than PUSH 😉
5. Keyword MUST appear in the first sentence on your page. Let’s be honest here… if by chance you cannot get it into the first sentence then the first paragraph will work. Now, having said that why would you want to do that. I thought what we wanted was top ranking. If that word (or set of words) won’t fir within the first sentence then maybe you should reconsider what that page is about.
I would simply make sure it is within the first sentence.
6. Keyword MUST appear in the LAST sentence. If you understood the idea in the paragraph above them this is also a no-brainer for you. If this seems at all difficult consider this. All you need to do is add another line as a summary at the end of the page. When you have your keywords appearing in both first and last sentences, you are consistent and it confirms the topic of the page. Consider this. it also makes forna good opening and good ending, Google likes this.
Now since I am behind (I think that is an understatement!) I am going to cover two more of the op-page factors. This first one can take a little work but is also key to properly identifying what your page is properly about.
7. Keyword MUST appear 2% to 4% of the time. Over time I have watched thew prescribed number used here climb as high as 8% to 10% but all tests that we have preformed have taken that number down much lower.
Here’s the deal… a good keyword density is generally within 2% to 4%. That said, do keep in mind that this varies across industries and types of sites. If you are working at beating out a group of already ranked sites I would recommend going in and checking on the keyword density that they are using. If they are using higher percentages then I would work up closer to what they are using.
On a final note, please keep the percentage above 2%. If you fall below 2% then how are the Search Engines supposed to clearly know what your page is about.
8. At least ONE outbound link to an internal page with Keyword as anchor text. Now this one I am very willing to bet you are NOT doing.
All you need to do is make a single link to one of your internal pages with your keyword as the anchor text. This makes it very clear to Google that your page is talking about the keyword and that you are referencing your own site for more information. When it comes to on-page and off-page SEO, anchor text has been known to be one of the most influential factors. This is too darned easy and you really must do it.
Now that my friends is the next 5 on-page SEO issues. I will make sure that the next post comes quickly for you and go over the balance of the factors for you. This is not difficult stuff but is missed by most website owners. Don’t be one of them
Let me know what you think of this post so I have the steam to keep going and pump out the balance of the factors for you. Just put your comments below.
Onward & Upward!